Sunday, February 7, 2016

Super Bowl Fever

My sweet Oakmont friend, Bonnie Shelley, (left) grew up in SF. Her passion for football came from her father, whom she reports was avid about it. He was also professional law enforcement.The corelation does not surprise me.
While most of San Francisco and a majority of the nation are glued to their nachos and tv's today, I.m sitting in the quiet and contemplating a short drive to the art supply store and then painting this afternoon.
My personal belief is that football is not good for the bodies of young people, and that the aggressive energy that it fosters is not good for the soul of the nation.
Before flicking off the tv this morning I watched Trump brag repeatedly that
he would bring back water-boarding and worse forms of torture. It was all I could do not to vomit.
Do I believe in getting kids in the out of doors? Absolutely, otherwise I would not have been a professional Girl Scout for nine years. Do I believe we should teach kids teamwork? By all means, that is what will help them survive in our complex society.
But in my opinion football will not solve climate change, will not alleviate poverty, or inequality, or
discourage war. Instead it promotes all the things I detest. This is the day statistically when the most incidences of wife abuse occur, usually accompanied by inebriation.
So yes, I have super bowl fever, but it is not the kind shared by my colleagues or friends. I can't wait for tomorrow to come.

No comments: