Friday, February 8, 2013

Coming to Terms with Globalization

A deep chill runs through my bones this afternoon and try as I might I can't seem to warm myself. Its only 4:30 and I have already changed to my flannel jammies. I'd sink gently into a hot bath except I'm not sure my new hip applauds the idea. The sun is shining brightly but snow is predicted down to 2500 feet which means the bay area may see white on the top of the peaks. I'm remembering a cold afternoon in Lyon,France when Jan Hagan and I, playing tourist, were similarly chilled to the bone. It was a joy, then, to discover a lovely patisserie that would make us hot chocolate. Never have I tasted anything so wonderful. Rich beyond measure. Steamy hot, served with French flair. The memory even warms my toes. This afternoon I attended my favorite group (so far) at Oakmont, Current Events. About fifty people attend weekly. The volunteer leader puts on the board subjects hot in the news and attendees are invited to nominate their own subjects as well and to discuss them. I suggested the Boy Scouts decision making to put off accepting gay members, but no one else seemed motivated to debate that subject. Instead much time was given to globalization. I learned a lot. Globalization (or Globalisation) is the process of international integration arising from the interchange of world views, products, ideas, and other aspects of culture. Was our delicious hot chocolate an aspect of globalization? I'd like to think so. It certainly made me cherish France even more than I already did. In closing today one member shared the following, which I guess is circulating just now in cyberspace: Q.What is the truest definition of Globalization? A.Princess Diana's death. Q How come? A. An English princess with an Egyptian boyfriend crashes in a French tunnel, riding in a German car with a Dutch engine driven by a Belgian who was drunk on Scottish whiskey, followed closely by Italian Paparazzi, on Japanese motorcycles, treated by an American doctor, using Brazilian medicines. The story goes on and on but that is enough to tweak your funny bone. I believe it was the same day in Lyon that Jan and I discovered a wonderful old merry-go-round. I have a photo depicting five children in one of the containers to ride in. I wish I were in it now.

No comments: