Friday, November 18, 2011

Reminiscing


The traumatic event described in last week's blog is receding in memory, replaced by
a more joyful one. Yesterday I wheeled the Malibu to the Napa Valley to celebrate the 81st birthdays of my freshman college roommates Dolores and Shirley. Once in Yountville we treated our tummies to elegant French cuisine at the Michellin one star Bistro Jeanty. For casual French atmosphere, perfect service and yummy food it rates three stars in my book. Its good that we no longer have to wear panty hose and girdles as we were required to do in sorority pledge days when we first met. Dolores was most adventurous with moules au vin rouge (mussels) while Shirley settled on daube de boeuf (roast beef and mashed potatoes). I took a chance on butternut squash and pear soup. I adored it. We split a tarte au citron for desert. The meringue seemed to nudge the ceiling and it was all we could do to finish it.
After lunch we explored the grounds of a nearby winery. I have probably seen the fall color in the Napa Valley a hundred times in my lifetime but I've never seen it quite so intense in colors of red, yellow, orange and green. T'was a treat for the eyes and the soul as well. At least for a few hours occupy everything was forgotten, as was Penn state, Syria, and arthritis. After all, all is right with the world.

No comments: