Thursday, September 2, 2010

More Outhouse Stories

No one answered my request for more outhouse stories, but a little research revealed that many books have been written about outhouses.  Not only that, some art books have been published with nothing but pictures of outhouses.  I'm flabbergasted.  I'm still hoping to tease out more stories from my buddies.  On coaxing, my friend Nancy, a retired teacher, revealed this story: as a child she once attended a country school in Arkansas.  It sported a six holer.  Her modesty prevented her from ever using it, she thinks. Now Nancy, who probably always was the teacher's pet, was given the highest honor, that is, of guarding the door while the teacher availed herself of the facilities.  Nancy was so proud!
Just this week I recalled a true story by a former Girl Scout colleague.  It occurred one summer when Cappy, now an adult,  went home to visit the rural country home of her childhood, somewhere in Oklahoma.  It was a primitive place, so that, in the night, when Cappy felt the call of nature, she followed the well-worn path in the dark to the facility she knew so well.  As she started back towards the house, something struck her leg. It hit hard.  She screamed and screamed.  It turned out to be a rattler, a huge one.  Apparently she stepped right on it.  She spent a few days in the hospital and several weeks recouperating.  I guess the moral of this story is that a Girl Scout should never go out unprepared... 
Can you top this?  I'm still searching for more stories, so send me yours.

No comments: