Wednesday, August 11, 2010

You Can't Be In Control, Eighty or not

Saturday is the day planned for the big joint 80th birthday celebration for three college freshmen, Bonnie, Shirley, and Dolores, friends for 62 years, since we were thrown together as sorority roommates in 1948. The University was flooded with returning GI's celebrated the end of WW2, the last great war.
We  planned this event six months ago, because I did not want to be at home, feeling it would be too sad without Lee.  We picked a small inn over the internet in the town of La Conner, where none of us had ever been, and invited our respective families for a reception and luncheon.  As I pack today for the week's trip to the Northwest tomorrow I'm flooded with feelings: Shirley's husband lies on life support in Reno, as I write. She may not make it. My 95 year old cousin Dolly from Vancouver, BC, who was preparing a speech to give about my life, lies in Peach Arch Hospital with a broken hip.  How unpredictable is life! With luck Dolores and I and friends and family will pull it off.  Four of my friends from here are flying up, and eight of my  family members from Western Washingon will attend, as well as my great niece from Maine.  I'm sure it will be wonderful.  My dear housekeeper just arrived with a sore throat and news her daughter has strep.  I sent her home fast.  At 80 I'm still struggling to learn that no matter how hard I try, I'm not in control.  I doubt I'll ever get it!  Wish me luck.  

1 comment:

Jan Hagan said...

Hope the party Saturday was wonderful and that you are well. Sorry we missed you grand day, but family/work commitments kept us close to home. We can celebrate with a trip to Vals next week.